Product donations can be dropped off at our warehouse Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. Our warehouse is located at 4490 Ocmulgee East Boulevard. For a large product donation, pick-up arrangements can be made by calling 478-742-3958 x10.
If you are interested in holding a can drive, the steps below outline the best way to make your can drive a success:
- Involve a large group a people, such as your co-workers, or classmates, and provide incentives in return for food donations. Additionally, set a timeline for your food drive, so participants know when it starts and ends.
- Food donations don’t always have to be canned food, but MGCFB does not accept food that is expired or damaged. MGCFB would prefer food that has at least 30-60 days before expiration.
- ONLY NON-PERISHABLE FOOD WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- MGCFB would prefer food donations that are nutritionally dense or whole meals such as, peanut butter, canned tuna, canned beans, soups and stews, pastas, or low sugar cereals.
- Additionally, MGCFB would prefer canned vegetables to be low sodium, and canned fruits to have no extra added sugar.
- If you have more questions about can drives, please call Ronnie Dixon, Warehouse Manager at 478-742-3958 x16.
Should you be worried about the legality of food donations?
- The state of Georgia and the federal government protect donors from liability through “Good Samaritan” legislation. In 1987, the Georgia Legislature passed an amendment to the Good Samaritan Food Laws, and in 1996, President Clinton signed the Federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act. Both laws protect good faith donations of food unless injury is caused intentionally by the donor.